Health & Nutrition Services
Our Head Start program supports the overall health and well-being of children and families. It also provides comprehensive health care which includes medical, dental, nutritional and mental health services.
Head Start requires that prior to enrollment each child must submit a current physical exam and immunization record, blood lead test results, hemoglobin/hematocrit results, blood pressure results and a current dental exam.
We believe parents play an important role in keeping your child’s health records current and if additional treatment or services are needed work with your child’s doctor and Head Start staff to ensure that all necessary services are provided and follow up care completed.
Little Champions Program
The COMMUNITY ACTION Obesity Prevention Program is managed through a partnership with Titus Sports Academy. Their trained professionals come to the Leon and Jefferson sites to work with the children twice a week on movement activities that address speed, strength, balance, agility and endurance. Titus designed a research-based obesity prevention program specifically for our Head Start program, which has now expanded to other area early education programs. Students will continue participating in the Champions Program ran by Titus Sports Academy when they transition into public schools in all three counties.
Health Requirements For Head Start
Only parents or legal guardians can complete the registration forms. When you report for registration you must bring the following:
1) MEDICAID CARD or INSURANCE CARD (If you are a recipient).
2) CURRENT IMMUNIZATION RECORDS – Florida Certificate Form DH 680 or HRS 680 (Blue Card.)
3) ANNUAL PHYSICAL EXAMINATION – State of Florida Student Health Examination Form DH 3040 or HRS-H 3040 (Yellow/Gold Form within the past 12 months).
a) HEMOGLOBIN or HEMATOCRIT RESULTS (within the past 12 months).
b) BLOOD PRESSURE READING (within the past 12 months)
c) HEARING AND VISION SCREENING RESULTS (within the past 12 mos.)
d) HEIGHT AND WEIGHT MEASUREMENT (within the past 12 months)
e) BLOOD LEAD TEST RESULTS (completed at ages 12 and 24 months of age, if not one must be completed).
4) WIC CLIENT CERTIFICATION WORKSHEET (if you are a recipient)
5) HEALTH CARE PLAN COMPLETED BY A DOCTOR (only if child has a medical condition) Check all that apply :____Asthma ____Seizure ____Allergy _____Food ____Other (Specify)
6) MEDICAL STATEMENT TO REQUEST SPECIAL MEALS AND/OR ACCOMMODATIONS (To be completed by doctor, only if child has a food allergy, special diet, food intolerance).
7) VERIFICATION OF DENTAL SERVICES – (to be completed and signed by the child’s dentist).
Providing nutritious meals to children is fundamental to the Head Start services we provide. We work with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Child Care Food Program (CCFP) daily to ensure all of our children receive one half to two-thirds of their daily nutritional needs. Our program also works with a licensed dietician to ensure our children receive balanced meals and portions, and special diets if required.
|Head Start Cycle Menus – Leon & Jefferson Counties >>> Click To Download||Medication Administration Form >>> Click To Download|
|Head Start Cycle Menus – Franklin County >>> Click To Download||Health Plan Forms >>> Click To Download|
|Head Start Cycle Menu – South City >>> Click To Download||Dental Verification Form >>> Click To Download|