Utility Crisis Assistance Application
Community Action serves residents in Jefferson, Leon, Gadsden, Liberty, Calhoun, Wakulla, Franklin, and Gulf Counties. During the course of office closures and limited client access to agency offices, Community Action will accept online applications.
The LOW-INCOME HOME ENERGY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (LIHEAP) is available for households that make up to 150% of the poverty level. The following links can be used to determine your eligibility.
2019 LIHEAP Poverty Guidelines
2020 LIHEAP Benefits Matrix
Staff will review the online application for completeness before processing any promise to pay. Clients will receive a confirmation when your application is accepted and processed. Clients will be contacted if there is anything needed.
Required documents you will need to upload:
1) Valid (non-expired) Photo ID or Driver’s License with birth date for ALL household members ages 18 and over.
2) Birth Certificates for all household members 17 years or younger;
3) Social Security Card for ALL household members.
4) Proof of disability, (documentation required).
5) Proof of Income for ALL household members: a) Current pay stubs, 2/bi-weekly, 4/weekly, 1/monthly
b) Social Security, Retirement, Pension, Death Benefits, VA award letters, (cannot use bank statement).
c) TANF award letter (cash assistance)
d) Food Stamp Verification Award Letter (cannot use the food stamp card)
e) Child Support Verification (Last 3 check stubs, or letter from Child Support)
f) Unemployment or Workers Compensation Award Letter
g) Financial Aid Award Letter
5) Most Recent Utility Bill (Utility Bill must be in the name of the person applying, and applicant must reside in the household.)
Note: All household members must be on the lease.
*** Income must be gross income. Bank Statements are NOT acceptable.
All DOCUMENTATION MUST BE CURRENT. If you do not submit all documents, you will have to restart the process.
On Document Upload:
- Only upload using JPEG or PDF
- Do not add any special characters (i.e., #, @, dashes, periods, etc.)
- Do not copy and paste information
The online application will require the client to enter the necessary information and upload the required documents via the following online link:
After submission of the application, you will receive a confirmation email within 24 business hours; and afterwards a phone interview within 48 business hours. Please make sure all required documents are uploaded before submitting application. Please only submit one application. If you have general questions, please call 850-222-2043 ext. 100.